- Licensing and Permits
- Keeping Chickens and Ducks
Keeping Chickens and Ducks
The Village of Cross Plains requires an annual license to keep chickens and/or ducks on a resident's property. Keeping chickens/ducks is a source of eggs and is part of the local-food movement.
A resident may own, harbor, or keep in their possession up to a total of six chickens/ducks (six birds total) upon any lot within the Village.
Cost of License
The cost of the license is $10.00 annually.
Please note that if you apply online, services fees will apply. If you do not wish to pay these fees, please come into the office to apply, or mail your application to the Village Office.
**NOTE** There is a $3.00 service fee when applying online with a credit or debit card. A $1.50 service fee applies when paying by e-check online. If you are not willing to pay this fee do not submit through the online system, either apply in person or by mail.
You can apply online for your annual license by filling out the Online Chicken and Duck Application. After you submit the form, it will take you directly to Municipay to pay the cost of the license.
Applying In Person
Apply in person at the Village Office, 2417 Brewery Rd., Monday-Friday, 7:30am - 4:00pm.
Applying By Mail
To apply by mail, please fill out the Chicken and Duck Application (PDF) and mail to the Village Office along with a check for $10.00 (made out to the Village of Cross Plains).
2417 Brewery Road (PO Box 97)
Cross Plains, WI 53528
Important reminders for residents
- No more than 6 chickens and/or ducks total may be harbored or kept upon any lot within the Village
- No roosters shall be permitted
- Slaughtering of chickens or ducks is prohibited
- The sale of chickens or ducks, meat, eggs or other by-products is prohibited without the approval of the Zoning Administrator and the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture Trade and Consumer Protection
- If the applicant is not the owner of the premises, applicant must provide written consent of the owner
- The owner of the chickens or ducks shall reside on the premises
- The enclosure area for any chickens or ducks shall conform to any and all regulations regarding accessory buildings for the zoning district in which the enclosure is situated
Bobbi ZaunerFinance Director / ClerkPhone: 608-798-3241, ext. 106
Renee BrattonDeputy Clerk - TreasurerPhone: 608-798-3241, ext. 102